Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 1 -- Monday, August 25

6:20 am The biggest news from last night's round of parties was that Senator Ted Kennedy will appear and speak to the convention tonight. Senator John Kerry announced the news during his remarks. This was news to most of us as he was expected to address the convention only "long distance," by satellite downlink.

Of last night's jovial round of parties, I just stuck close to home -- Senator Kerry's welcome reception for the Massachusetts delegation was held in the lobby bar of our hotel, the Renaissance Stapleton. Governor Deval Patrick welcomed us all to Denver, and then introduced Senator Kerry.

After we Massachusetts folk had schmoozed a-plenty in the hotel's lobby, we were invited to a lower level of the hotel for an ice cream excursion with the Maryland delegates, also at our hotel. Commonly overheard on the elevator: "You from Maryland too? Or Massachusetts?" Inevitably common links are quickly discovered. "I grew up in Duxbury." "You know people in Gaithersburg?"

By the way, there seems to be every attempt to keep delegates well-fed: the snacks last night were more than substantial. The state party keeps track of delegates by issuing us a plastic bracelet for each event. This keeps things simple when you go to the bar to have your wine refreshed.

There also seems to be "gifting" a-plenty: upon arrival delegates received a gift bag with all kinds of useful goodies (a hat from the Governor, a t-shirt from the Obama campaign, plus buttons, oversize Nalgene water bottle and other items galore). A double old-fashioned cocktail glass was Senator Kerry's gift to us at last night's party, which I found doubled nicely as an ice-cream dish!

3 comments:

Skipper said...

It's great to know you are there in Denver, and the experience is proving salutory.

Of course, as one who both loves Obama and wants to see progressive government take over in Washington, the biggest thing on my mind is the question of the supposed "angery Hillary delegates". If you don't want to comment publicly, fine, but please, PLEASE I'm praying you will be given the opportunities to reach out to some of these delegates and reassure them. I urge you to listen to concerns and suggestions they make. I have a sense many are on the fence, having heard media exaggerated reports, and that personal attention and respect coming from individual Obama delegates will go a long way. I know that Barack Obama has done this himself (along with his staff), but apparently, the message hasn't gotten through yet. Rumors are swirling about imagined Obama disrespect toward Hillary and whatever we can do to unify the party at this time is essential.

The eyes of the country, and world, are on you!!
God bless and take care. Skipper George, Newburyport

Mary Jane said...

Hi Marianne,
I just want you to know that I eagerly await your blogs. I am so excited that Senator Kennedy will be speaking tonight. Please give him an extra loud cheer from the 1EM.
Mary Jane

susant said...

Hi Marianne!!

I am sorry I have been so out of contact. I am still visiting my parents in Va Beach. Aaron is down here now too. I wish he had told me before he/you left that you wanted a Mark Warner button because I could have told him exactly where mine is at our house. Oh well.

More importantly, WE JUST SAW YOU ON THE SMALL SCREEN tonight when we were watching on CNN. It was during Michelle's speech. Can you believe it? You were on for a good 5 - 10 seconds; can you believe it!!

Enjoy the week. I'll keep reading. Btw, I got my VP email at 2:05 am. Arent' I special??

Susan